Surgery After Weight Loss
There is nothing more rewarding than achieving your weight loss goal. Whether you have undergone weight loss (bariatric) surgery or trimmed off those extra pounds through methods like diet and exercise, it can leave you feeling healthy and confident. However, losing a significant amount of weight can also result in excess skin and fat that diet and exercise may not be able to address. At Piedmont Plastic Surgery, our post-bariatric surgery procedures can shape and tone your body for a smoother, more contoured figure.
Losing weight can cause your skin and tissue to lose elasticity and begin to sag in multiple areas of the body. This is extremely common, and genetics and the extent of your weight loss play a significant role in how your resulting skin will look. Post-bariatric surgery procedures can tighten, trim, and sculpt the following areas to help you reach the final step of your transformation:
- Upper arms
Body contouring procedures after weight loss can provide you with high-quality results and help you achieve the body of your dreams. During your consultation, Dr. Willard will examine your figure to determine the amount of correction needed and which surgical procedures will best suit your needs. Although post-bariatric surgery procedures are performed on an outpatient basis, you can request an overnight stay at the Comfort Cottage with a nurse available to help you.
- Addresses sagging tissue in the middle and lower face as well as the neck
- Improves fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth, chin, and jaw
- Can provide patients with a youthful appearance
- Addresses sagging breasts by lifting and tightening the tissues
- Restores breasts and nipple-areola complexes to a more youthful position
- Can be combined with breast augmentation to enhance volume in the breasts
- Removes sagging skin and excess fat from the abdomen
- Can repair loose or separated abdominal muscles
- Can be combined with liposuction
- Removes excess skin from the thighs
- Can tighten the thighs for smoother and more slender legs
- Incisions are hidden on the inner thighs
- Addresses sagging skin and fatty tissue along the upper arms
- Can produce youthful and more slender arms
Your recovery will depend on the combination of procedures performed. Following your surgery, you will be asked to wear a compression garment around the treated area(s). Swelling and bruising may occur but should resolve after a few weeks. Avoid strenuous activities for at least six weeks to allow your body to heal properly. You should be able to return to work two weeks after surgery. It is important that you consult with Dr. Willard regarding the procedures you are undergoing to determine the length of your recovery.
Body contouring patients can expect permanent results that will enhance their appearance and boost their self-confidence. While results are long lasting, patients should maintain a well-balanced diet and healthy lifestyle, as results can be reversed with additional weight gain.
Side Effects and Risks
As with all surgical procedures, there are some risks involved with post-bariatric surgery. These include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Irregular healing